Visa procedure for Sri Lanka
The procedure for applying for a tourist visa for Sri Lanka has changed. You have to apply online for all tourist visas. This section will show you how.
1) Book your accommodations.
- For vaccinated travelers, you need to book the first two nights in a Safe & Secure Level 1 certified hotel. Once you receive the negative result of your PCR test done on day 1, you are free to travel in the country. Only adults need to be vaccinated, same rules will apply to your children below 18 years old.
- For non vaccinated travelers, during the first 14 days of your stay, you can only stay at Safe & Secure Level 1 certified hotels, though you are allowed to book multiple hotels during the 14 days. Contact us for a list and to learn more about these hotels. Once your booking is complete, you will get a booking reference for each hotel, which will be requested during your visa process.
2) Pay for PCR tests and mandatory COVID-19 Insurance Cover. Currently, PCR tests and insurance are purchased through your hotel or your local agency, but a travel app is being developed and will be released soon for covid related matters. If you are not vaccinated, you will be required to pay for 2 PCR tests of 40 USD/ test/ person. If you are vaccinated, only 1 PCR test is necessary. The insurance is provided by People’s Insurance, is valid for a period of one month, and will cost 12 USD/person.
3) Go on: www.eta.gov.lk as soon as your bookings for your accommodations, PCR tests, and insurance are finalized. Pay for your ETA visa online: 35 USD/ person (20 USD /person for SAARC countries citizens). Currently, the visas being issued are valid for 30 days, but there will soon be a 3-month option. If your visa is for 30 days, you can ask for a visa extension of up to 3 months upon arrival at the airport in Sri Lanka.
4) Sri Lankan visa authorities will process your visa request and get back to you shortly with approval, sent by email. Make sure to print out your receipt and take it with you on your trip!
5) Book your international flight. We recommend that you book your plane tickets through a travel agency, so they can assist you if needed.
Notes: Special rates apply to the residents of SAARC countries. Visas are free for kids below 12 years old. Your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your date of arrival in Sri Lanka.
Please note that the above information may not be up to date. Please contact the nearest Sri Lankan embassy, or check their website for the latest information on obtaining a visa to Sri Lanka.
*This article was updated on 18-07-2021, following the new regulations published when Sri Lanka reopened its borders on 21st January 2021.
A TEAM OF TRAVEL ENTHUSIASTS AT YOUR SERVICE
FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE, AUTHENTIC TRIP
A multicultural team
Over 6000 happy travelers
Your quote in 48 hours
Good value for money