Visa procedure for Sri Lanka
The procedure for applying for a tourist visa for Sri Lanka has changed. You have to apply online for all tourist visas. This section will show you how.
1) Book your accomodations. During the first 14 days of your stay, you can only stay at Safe & Secure Level 1 certified hotels, though you are allowed to book multiple hotels during the 14 days. Contact us for a list and to learn more about these hotels. Once your booking is complete, you will get a booking reference for each hotel, which will be requested during your visa process.
2) Pay for PCR tests and mandatory COVID-19 Insurance Cover. Currently, PCR tests and insurance are purchased through your hotel or your local agency, but a travel app is being developed and will be released soon for covid related matters. Each PCR test will cost 40 USD/ test/ person, with 2 tests required for a trip of less than 7 days, and 3 tests for a trip exceeding 7 days. The insurance is provided by People’s Insurance, is valid for a period of one month, and will cost 12 USD/person. Confirmation of these purchases will be requested during your visa process.
3) Go on: www.eta.gov.lk as soon as your bookings for your accommodations, PCR tests and insurance are finalized. Pay for your ETA visa online: 35 USD/ person (20 USD /person for SAARC countries citizens). Currently, the visas being issued are valid for 30 days, but there will soon be a 3 month option. If your visa is for 30 days, you can ask for a visa extension of up to 3 months upon arrival at the airport in Sri Lanka.
4) Sri Lankan visa authorities will process your visa request and get back to you shortly with approval, sent by email. Make sure to print out your receipt and take it with you on your trip!
5) Once your visa approval is received, you can proceed to book your return flight. The airline might request your proof of visa on booking.
Notes: Special rates apply for the residents of SAARC countries. Visas are free for kids below 12 years old. Your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your date of arrival in Sri Lanka.
Please note that the above information may not be up to date. Please contact the nearest Sri Lankan embassy, or check their website for the latest information on obtaining a visa to Sri Lanka.
*This article was updated on 26-01-2021, following the new regulations published when Sri Lanka reopened its borders on 21st January 2021.
A TEAM OF TRAVEL ENTHUSIASTS AT YOUR SERVICE
FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE, AUTHENTIC TRIP
A multicultural team
Over 6000 happy travelers
Your quote in 48 hours
Good value for money